The Five Important Characteristics for obtaining success with Online Schools
The Five Important Characteristics
When you sign up with online schools (Distance Learning), you have signed up your time. If you are already working or if you have too much time on your hands, you still face the same challenges. Although you study at your own time, this flexibility is not without cost. You have to stick to a schedule to get ahead and any distraction can waylay you away from your studies and you eventually end up dropping the course.
What do you need to have to succeed with DL? Those who have successfully completed their DL courses readily confirm that these characteristics will help you tremendously. The DL lessons are varied but most of the time you will be dealing with your instruction manuals which you read on your computer or download.
1. Being goal oriented. You must be very sure about the purpose of your taking up DL. If it is an investment for your career, then you can reap the benefits after a number of years. Like traditional learning, the course covers several subjects which you have to complete to earn the number of units before you can graduate from the course.
2. Discipline. To succeed you must have self-discipline. You lose the thread if you keep on changing your study schedule or postponing your DL sessions. Although there is no frequent live interaction between teacher and student most of the time, you are still going to take examinations and pass all of these before proceeding to the next program
3. Being proactive. Don't wait until you have a problem on your hands. If you have questions, ask them. Online Schools provide student the support needed to complete their course. Be in frequent contact with your instructors to keep with the demands of the course.
4. Being realistic. DL is not easy. You have a lot of academic work to do just as you would in a traditional learning environment. On the other hand, carefully evaluate the monetary side of the equation. If the expense is worth a career investment, then taking additional courses via online schools is practical.
5. Being organized. Appoint a place in the home for your DL studies and make sure you have the tools ready before you start you DL sessions. The school will readily provide a list of requirements that would facilitate your DL - word processor, fax machine, recorder, web cam, printer, and of course, an Internet connection.
Lastly be ready for a rigorous schedule and time your exams on days when there are no family events or major work assignments. Once you have completed your course, celebrate! Your DL diploma is equal to the traditional college diploma and employers everywhere respect its importance. If you have these five characteristics, expect to successfully complete your DL course.
Return to Online Schools Home page